Wednesday 30 October 2013

Doing Stuff and Enjoying Life

Today has been a day full of doing stuff. The kind of day when you start out in the morning with a couple of things planned then a couple more get added and you fit in a few more things and suddenly the day is full!
When I arose from my bed this morning, I had a plan in my mind of what I needed to do. The calendar told me that we were expecting 16 gentlemen from the Men's Shed at Halliday's Point for the morning and lunch. Peter and I  had that under control. Peter had organised the workshop yesterday so that they could spend time up there. First up was a wood turning demo, then the men would be able to explore and experiment with all the other boys' toys!
Before they arrived, I had to do some (as Peter calls it!) 'hunting and gathering', which necessitated a trip to the supermarket in Wingham. I don't usually like supermarket shopping, in fact, it is one of my least favourite chores (running a pretty close second to the laundry!), but first thing in the morning, I don't mind doing it for a variety of reasons.
The first is that it is pretty mindless. For those of you who know me well, you will know that I am not a morning person, so getting up and getting going is a huge effort at the best of times! At least going to do some shopping I don't have to think, as long as I have my list!
The second reason I don't mind is the drive. I love driving! I turn out of our drive and head eastwards towards Wingham. It is a lovely country road drive. It is always interesting and always different. This morning, the very first thing I saw before I even left the property was a lolloping kangaroo making his/her way across our paddock. It always give me a thrill to see them. We've seen a few lately because it is so dry! The scenery is beautiful, driving between dairy pasture land and then up through the rising hills. I try to take a moment at the breathlessly beautiful Brushy Cutting lookout. The vista is so magnificent it is hard to describe, but especially in the morning when there has been mist or fog in the valley below. Sometimes the mist rides right up over the road in an arch which is truly incredible!
The third is arriving in Wingham itself. It is so pleasant to drive into this sleepy little country town, where peak hour is three cars at once at the roundabout and the streets are populated by kids walking to school, mostly on their own 'cause it's safe enough for them to do so.
So the shopping was done, the crusty bread purchased and I returned home - shopping trip over and done with in about half an hour!
Then I prepared the dining room for the men to have lunch - barbecue style to pretty easy to do. I was pleased with myself because all I had to do now was put together a tossed salad and make sure everything was out and ready to serve when it was time, which meant I could relax and take my time for the rest of the morning, until I remembered...... bother! I have done relief teaching for the last two days and as we had full house over the weekend, all the bedrooms had to be restored to rights ready for the next guests. That was the end of my relaxing morning. Not a housekeeper, but there is satisfaction in seeing the three bedrooms set to rights, looking beautiful ready for the next guests. Again it is a pretty mindless task. So my mind tends to wander as I work!
Which brings me to the highlight of my day (other than entertaining our 14 men)! Whenever I make up the rooms I always think of my bestie Kathy, as she created the patchwork quilts for each of our bedrooms. Yesterday, I sent off a parcel to her and for once the Post Office Fairies got it right and it arrived in Tassie this morning.
I have been holding on to this little surprise for a couple of weeks now and it was great to hear Kathy on the other end of the phone so excited. It wasn't anything totally spectacular that I had done, just a record of her o/s trip, but I was hoping she would enjoy. The timing of its arrival was perfect too which made it even better. So pleased she enjoyed!
Now you might think the day has finished, but no, tonight it continues. Peter and I are involved in our local Chamber of Commerce and it's the monthly meeting this evening - means we get to have a lovely meal out at the local pub as well and the networking is great.
By the way, the lunch went off really well and all the blokes had a fantastic time!

1 comment:

  1. my gosh you had a busy day - but mine was fabulous - thanks to you xx

    ReplyDelete