Thursday 24 October 2013

Melbourne - my surprise trip

I think I'm really spoiled sometimes. I've been with Peter for twelve years now and we have this amazing relationship. Life has been an incredible roller coaster over the years, especially with my health, yet he has stuck in there like Super glue!
Granted I have had to teach him a few things, especially about springing surprises! This last week, he excelled himself. For my birthday (earlier in October) he organised three days away this week. We ended up going to Melbourne. I didn't know where we were going until the day we left! We haven't been to Melbourne for about 11 years, so I was very excited. We flew out of Newcastle Airport just two days after it had been closed because of bushfires! I was very excited passing through the Security checks because my hip set off the alarms for the very first time - I know, small things amuse small minds! The flight was uneventful, which suited me down to the ground! We sat with an interesting guy who writes for a couple of auto mags and was going to Melbourne for the launch of the latest Holden 4WD!
We were able to go upmarket with our accommodation because several month's ago, I won a competition for which I earned enough Hilton Honour's points for us to stay two nights in Hilton Park View on the edge of Melbourne city. She's a grand old lady, subdued splendour. We had a 16th floor room overlooking Fitzroy Gardens and the city itself.
We ventured out using the Myki tickets on the trams. I just love using the trams in Melbourne! They kind of trundle along at a pace that you can sightsee as you go. The trams that passed the hotel took us right into the middle of the city itself onto Collins Street or to the transport hub of Flinders Street Station - couldn't have been better.
We arrived in Melbourne by mid-morning so we hit the shops before lunchtime. The weather was rather patchy but this didn't stop our exploration of the laneways of Melbourne. We went from the north to the south and east to west and found some fascinating little nooks and crannies. My favourites places were the Royal Arcade and The Block!
The Royal Arcade is beautiful and full of the most amazingly different shops. Gog and Magog guard one entrance on either side of the clock. Down one side we found this interesting shoe accessory shop where one wall was covered in small sections full of every kind of shoelace imaginable. Several other shops could be called 'Bits and Bobs' shops and their window displays were fascinating. The best shop of all was, of course, the 'Babushka Shop'. I resisted the urge! I also found a shop totally devoted to everything miniature and by miniature I mean extremely tiny. While I was perusing this, Peter was in a shop opposite full of Australian-made craft.
I loved The Block as well. Definitely a window shopping arcade. The architecture is spectacular and the floor mosaics equally so! I found a shop totally devoted to everything miniature and by miniature I mean extremely tiny. While I was perusing this, Peter was in a shop opposite full of Australian-made craft.
We ate  afternoon tea in The Causeway.
Monday evening we used trams to get to Lygon Street - where else would we go for dinner! We found a nice little restaurant called 'Seasons Providore'. I think the choice was made because of the platter of homemade gnocchi in the window! The food was beautiful. Peter had the gnocchi and said it was as good as his mother's and nonna's - high praise! I had a tasty chicken roulade. Dessert was tken next door in the Gelato Parlour!
On Tuesday, we ventured further afield, out to the Docklands area, again by tram! We spent a while in Harbour Town - a DFO -, breakfast at Le Cirque ( beautiful little coffee lounge, with purple tables!, found an unusual UGG shop and then wandered around the foreshore. The weather was unkind! We found this most incredible mural of Past and Present Entertainers, huge but finely detailed full of perfectly recognisable talent. Several detailed statues stood nearby as well.
Then we returned to the city and on the outskirts we ventured to the Fox Car Museum - a collection of collectible cars which belong to Lindsey Fox of Linfox fame. From Mercs, to Jaguars, Ferraris and Porsches and even the humble Volkswagen. Even I found it interesting, especially some of the prior ownership of the vehicles. However, I wasn't reduced to drooling as Peter was!
Because the weather had closed in, we returned to the hotel and had a lazy afternoon, reading and enjoying a dip in the hot spa pool. We then left to go and eat in the city before going to the Regent Theatre.
King Kong the Musical was the highlight of our trip. The music and storyline were quite good, but what the production incredible and very clever were the special effects. The stage sets were a combo of solid construction and lighting you would not believe and the major use of lasers and lighting throughout was extraordinary. Then there was King Kong - a full size (as in I reckon approximately 9 metres high) puppet. Unless you see it you cannot imagine how inventive it was, the movements from the big arm and leg movements right down to the nuances of facial expression. It was the most amazing thing I have seen in a long time. You could see the puppeteers but having said that, you could almost believe King Kong was alive!
Wednesday morning was a write-off unfortunately as I had a migraine - bugger! Peter looked after me so well. At one point I didn't know whether I'd be able to travel home, but eventually it eased enough.
The return trip was a bit of a blur as I slept on and off until we arrived back in Newie. Home was a beautiful place to see. As we entered the Manning Valley I said to Peter, "Thanks so much for taking me away, but thanks so much for bringing me back home again!"
If you want to have a look at what we got up to, click on the link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2EuPpbePcc

2 comments:

  1. You chose to go away with Pete rather than working with me???? So much for BFF's. Glad you had a great time with Pete in Melbourne. Your pics are fabulous. I think we should do a mosaic floor in the Cafe. See you soon. JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame about the migraine - killers of joy and fun - but thank goodness it passed. After a sleep I always feel better.
    sounds like you had a ball in Melbourne. It is always great to go back to your own little nest though, isn't it .

    ReplyDelete